Unfortunately there are times in our lives where things just don’t go the way we want them to. It is natural to feel frustrated when this happens. But how productive is it for you to feel this way? How much time and energy are you expending feeling frustrated? What positive results are you deriving from this? My guess – probably not many. Typically what happens when we are frustrated is that we experience some self-pity that corrupts our positive attitudes and hampers our ability to achieve the results we want. So, what can you do to protect yourself from this negative spiral spin?
- Take responsibility for what happens to you. Don’t blame others. Learn from these setbacks.
- Make sure to set realistic expectations for yourself. Aiming too high, that is, setting unrealistic expectations for yourself will lend you to feeling frustrated.
- Don’t expect and strive for perfection. Focus on striving for excellence.
- Manage your expectations as relates to others and what you expect from them.
- Maintain a positive attitude. It is hard to feel frustrated when you have your goals in mind as well as the rewards of achieving those goals.
- Relive your past accomplishments. Success breeds success.